Those of you who know me well know that I hate cereal (unless it’s chocolate Krave, in that case it’s not even cereal, it’s a full blown dessert in the box). But other than that, I think it’s gross. I mean, why would I want to eat dry crunchy stuff first thing in the morning? Meh, to each their own, I guess. Don’t quit on me just yet! On the other side of the ocean, we like Muesli or hot cereal like oatmeal or multi meal porridge. I grabbed a new kind of Muesli box the other day at Aldi’s with great anticipation and excitement. It was all paleo muesli and it’s pretty close to my Trim Healthy Mama choices. To my sadness, I didn’t love all nuts and seeds cereal (insert sad face), and I wasn’t going to waste my money by throwing it away. My wheels were spinning as to how I could use this healthy plethora of nuts, and then I remembered my old recipe I had tried before! I quickly messaged my neighbor to borrow her food processor (thank you, Paula !!), and before I knew it, these delicious bars were in my kitchen! I also had half a bag of Goji berries on hand (Google those! They are a mother-load of antioxidants, cardiovascular support, and much more! Amazing stuff!)
Here is what I did :
- I mixed the entire box of Muesli I had, or you can combine a variety of nuts and seeds you have around! My mix had almonds, pumpkin seeds, walnuts, sunflower seeds, hemp seed, flax seed, and coconut pieces.
- I added few drops of Stevia (You can use honey!)
- I used Slique Young Living blend (helps manage your weight) and Orange vitality oil .
4. Put everything in the food processor and mix. Keep mixing it for about 10-15 minutes. You will notice the texture changing and natural oils from the nuts being released. It will get to a paste like texture.
5. Place it on the parchment paper and let it rest for an hour or so. You can place wax paper between each bar to keep them separated.
We made 2 batches. The second batch had cinnamon bark vitality oil and grapefruit vitality oil; another delightful combo! We liked them both!
Keep them refrigerated to help them stay firm .
Grab as a quick snack on the go or when sweet cravings are tempting you around 2:30 pm!
Here is to healthy and happy you, enjoy!